Some courts in North Carolina are announcing closings as Hurricane Florence strengthened to a Category 4 on Monday in advance of expected landfall this week.
If Florence hits North Carolina without weakening, it will be the only Category 4 hurricane to make U.S. landfall so far north, the Washington Post reported.
On Monday afternoon, the North Carolina Judicial branch listed court closings in the counties of Brunswick, Dare and New Hanover starting Tuesday; Bladen, Columbus and Currituck starting Wednesday; and Hyde, Pasquotank, Tyrell and Washington starting Thursday.
Judicial branch tweets are here.
In South Carolina, the state’s chief justice, Donald Beatty, warned of possible closings of government offices, including courts. Beatty said county chief judges could direct that certain matters go forward despite closures or delays, and should conduct bond hearings at least once a day, if conditions are safe to do so.
Judges assigned to counties operating as normal should be flexible in granting continuances to attorneys and parties who experience personal issues caused by the weather conditions that prevent their appearance in court, Beatty said.
South Carolina county and government offices were operating normally Monday afternoon, according to the state’s emergency management division website. However, state government offices and schools were closed beginning Tuesday in 26 counties, according to the division’s Hurricane Florence page. Tweets are available here.
The federal courthouse in Charleston, South Carolina, will be closed beginning Tuesday, according to the website of the federal court for the District of South Carolina.